New Hampton, NY - the sign outside the Arluck Brothers' New Hampton Lumber store on Route 17M congratulating Al-Qaeda and KJ, is coming down and it will be back to advertising.
Seth and Dennis Arluck figure that they've made their point, Dennis said, "I had people call me up and tell me that I was the next thing to dirt. And I said to them, 'Haven't you ever heard of the First Amendment?' I told one guy, 'If you want to put a sign across the street, go ahead.'"
There were also some death threats, which aren't covered by the First Amendment. Some came from callers in area code 718, which is Brooklyn.
While many blog posts commenting on the sign were harmless and even witty, there was also a guy who sent an e-mail to the Arlucks, saying he sent a picture of the sign to "the District Attorney's Office of New Hampton NY to alert them of your hateful and bias (sic) crime and to hopefully try to get them to criminally prosecute you for this despicable act."
Dennis Arluck was defiant yesterday, even after the death threats. "It's actually somebody telling us we can't do this, and of course, we can do this."
Friday, November 17, 2006
New Hampton, NY - Sign Congratulating Al Qaeda and Kiryas Joel Coming Down
Posted on 6:25 PM by ram
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment